So we just got back from a little weekend getaway. It was our 3rd annual trip to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, ME and this year we had a little addition in tow. Since it was our first trip away with Avery and with another one planned in December to Newport, RI, I figured I needed to get my shit together d figure out what it really was that I needed to pack to travel with a baby.
So full disclosure: we were only going for a weekend away and we were driving to our destination. Is you are going for longer or flying I’m sure you could make small modifications to what I present here to fit your needs.
First thing is first. Make a list. Make a list of everything that you need because even with your list you are bound to forget one or two things. I forgot one important thing which I will share later on.
I’ll link all items that I used below the list. Some links may contain affiliate links which means I may get a small percentage if you make a purchase. This in no way influences the items I promote! I only promote items that I actually use and would recommend. You can see me full disclosures HERE.
1. Diapers: enough for your trip. I planned for at least 6 a day and then added a couple.
2. Wipes: 2 packs.
3. Outfits: one for each day you’ll be gone, include socks and bibs and pack at least one extra outfit.
4. Sleepers: add at least one extra
5. Pack n Play
6. Pack n Play sheets: I packed an extra sheet as well
7. Blanket: I had one extra that I use in Avery’s car seat
8. Bottles: I packed 2 to rotate
9. Dish soap: to wash your bottles and pump parts if applicable. I put this in a small, easily portable container.
10. Pacifier: this is what I forgot. Let’s just say it was not pretty when Avery found out.
11. Pump: as well as all the parts
12. Baby lotion and wash: I also put small amounts in smaller containers linked below.
13. Tylenol with measuring syringe: Avery is teething so this is a must some nights.
14. Trash bags: I actually always keep one in my diaper bag because you never know when an accident may happen.
15. Carrier: sometimes it is just easier to stick Avery in the baby carrier then trying to push a stroller around.
16. Stroller: But don’t forget the stroller. I’ve done that once.
17. Toys: especially tethers. Need to keep the baby entertained somehow.
18. Food and utensils: Avery is super picky about what she eats and loves the mixed purses. So I made sure to bring
19. Outerwear: Hats, gloves, boots. We live in Maine so I literally have to prepare for all the elements especially in November.
20. Portable sound machine: for whatever reason Avery loves listening to the tide coming in when going to bed.
21. Diaper backpack
So I ended up packing 3 bags for our trip. I had my pump bag with the parts, dish soap as well as the bottles. I also happened to put a Tupperware container that I could use to disassemble the pump parts and wash in.
I also packed Avery’s diaper backpack with diapers, wipes, the extra outfit and a couple of trash bags. I also put Avery’s hat, mittens and jacket in here as well.
Everything else went in Avery’s main travel bag.
Here are the links to what I used to make this travel a little bit easier!
Pack n Play: Graco Pack n Play at Walmart
Sheets: Graco Play yard Sheet
Sound machine: Portable Owl Sound Machine
Diaper backpack: The one I have is currently unavailable but here is one from Freshly Picked.
So tell me what is a must to pack when traveling with kids or if you don’t have kids tell me what is a must to pack for yourself! I am always looking for suggestions to make my own packing easier.