We went apple picking recently which is always fun in theory. In reality, the fun lasts for a total of 5-10 minutes and we make it home with bags and bags of apples that we don’t always use. Besides the traditional apple recipes that we make like apple crisp and apple sauce, I figured we could make some apple cinnamon pancakes as well. Even better; they are gluten free.
I wouldn’t say that I am full on gluten free. I tend to stay away from it because it makes me feel pretty awful overall. So I try really hard to create more recipes of the things I love, like pancakes, that are gluten free. These apple cinnamon pancakes can also be made with regular flour too so don’t worry for those who want more gluten in their lives.
My kids love pancakes, so I typically double or triple this recipe and then freeze the leftover pancakes to have for those busy mornings. To freeze I lay the pancakes out on cooling racks (a trick I learned from my mom), put them in the freezer for a couple hours and then put in ziploc bags separated by parchment paper. This prevents them from sticking together when freezing. When you want to make them; simply grab from the freezer, pop them in the toaster to heat up.
Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
So a few tips for this recipe first.
- Make sure that you are using a gluten free flour that contain xanthun gum. If it doesn’t contain it then you will have to add it in the recipe. If it does, then just omit.
- Dice up apples nice and small. You can also shred your apples if you want. I prefer to dice the apples to have little pieces in the pancakes.
- I use a griddle to cook these. I cook them at about 350 degrees. If you don’t have a griddle, you need to invest in one. It is life changing. You can grab one on Amazon or at Kohl’s. I suggest grabbing a non stick one and then using cooking spray to coat it.
Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- 1 cup all- purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Oat milk
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Mix together the gluten-free flour, 1/4 teaspoon xanthun gum if your flour mix doesn't have it in it, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and the vegetable oil together in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined. Stir in milk and mix until smooth.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Pour batter onto a preheated greased griddle or a pan cooking until the batter begins to bubble on top. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown. Serve with your favorite toppings!
- I use King Arthur 1:1 substitution gluten-free flour and I like it because it is one to one substitution for recipes.
- When I measure flour, I measure by spooning the flour into measuring cups and leveling off.
- You can add more cinnamon and apples to your desired tastes. Also adding a little nutmeg can enhance the flavor!
So easy to make and easy to have leftovers! Plus who doesn’t love apple cinnamon anything. Make sure to let me know how they came out if you make them in the comments below.